This one-day course equips learners with hands-on practical skills needed to do actual compensation work within a typical HR and business environment, with focus on Excel skills. It is designed to supplement theoretical and technical knowledge of compensation gained through certification courses or other knowledge-based training on remuneration practices. Using a “watch first, then do together” approach, the facilitator will demonstrate the actual process steps involved in job evaluation, market analysis, salary structure design, salary proposal preparation and commonly used Excel functions. Using simulated data for a fictitious company, learners will work on their own laptops to complete the above tasks using tools and methods similar to those used by large companies.
By the end of the session, participants should be able to:
1. Evaluate a job
2. Conduct a market benchmark analysis
3. Calculate individual and aggregate market ratios
4. Develop a salary range structure and calculate compa-ratios
5. Develop salary proposal worksheet
6. Use Excel functions for the most common compensation tasks
1. Sample Excel practice file, including “start” version and the instructor’s final version, with:
● Fictitious employee data and market data
● Survey job matching template, with premium and discount feature
● Market data aging calculator
● Market-ratio and compa-ratio calculations
● Salary structure design template
● Regression tools
● Salary proposal worksheet
2. Job Analysis Questionnaire
Who Should Attend?
This class is designed specifically for HR or Comp & Benefits professionals with basic knowledge of compensation practices such as job evaluation and market pricing, but who wish to acquire or sharpen practical hand-on skills to perform related tasks. Those who have had some formal training or certification, or have at least one year experience doing compensation work will benefit most.
A laptop with Microsoft Excel installed is required for the workshop.