This live online workshop provides more experienced compensation and benefits managers and professionals an opportunity to achieve certification in a convenient three-day format, based on an assessment of managerial and program design competencies related to base pay structure design, managing the annual salary review, incentive pay design, advanced benefits and other professional competencies such as performance management and communication. The focus is on ensuring emerging total rewards leaders are equipped with the essential knowledge, terminology, theory, methods, and attitudes for driving value through well-aligned rewards practices.
Class discussions are used to develop attitudes and insights in relation to linking pay to performance and value creation, through merit (base pay) and incentives (variable pay). Discussion of advanced benefits creates awareness of trends in cost-sharing, employee responsibility and flexible work arrangements. This is not intended as a skill-building course, but provides formal training in the essential managerial knowledge needed for compensation and benefits.
An assessment exam is included, requiring a 70% passing score for certification, along with evidence (resume or LinkedIn profile) of four years’ experience performing professional-level compensation and benefits duties within an organization.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is intended for compensation and benefits managers or professionals with at least four years of hands on experience in an organizational setting. Those with greater compensation and benefits experience will be best prepared to learn and to take the assessment exam on Day 3 afternoon.
This is a certification workshop for those with significant experience; it is not intended for those wishing to explore a move into compensation and benefits, who are doing HR generalist work but have not done C&B, or compensation and benefits practitioners with very narrow experience. Such persons should attend the standalone courses, which include more class discussions, skill-building exercises and networking opportunities.
- Recommend salary increase budgets
- Manage the salary review process
- Update salary ranges
- Determine employee and location compa-ratios
- Develop salary review guidelines and policies
- Design the manager input and rollup process
- Prepare payroll files and compensation statements
- Help managers communicate pay decisions
Salary Increase Guideline Matrix template
Manage Salary Planning Input template
- Distinguish and select incentive types based on purpose
- Determine total target cash and the pay mix
- Evaluate effectiveness of existing incentives
- Develop a broad-based corporate incentive plan
- Develop a sales incentive or commission plan
- Describe and recommend profit sharing and gainsharing plans
- Communicate incentives to participants
Sample incentive plan documents
Corporate incentive review guide
Develop Advanced Benefits and Work-Life Programs
- Manage the benefits function
- Implement insurance strategies
- Manage benefits accounting and funding
- Implement and manage wellness, prevention and flexible benefits
- Manage ASEAN regional benefits Implement Work-Life strategies
Supplemental Retirement Scheme (Singapore)
Multinational Pooling reference material
Article on Retention-based pay
Rewards Professional Competencies
- Align rewards to performance, using traditional or emerging approaches
- Write and maintain effective reward policies
- Manage communication and change effectively
- Partner with business leaders to meet business needs appropriately
- Collaborate with finance and accounting
Assessment and Certification
To ensure learners have sufficiently acquired the competencies taught in this course, an assessment may be taken for certification. Certification as a Certified Total Rewards Professional™ (CTRP) will be valid for as long as the certificate holder remains active in the HR profession, with career breaks lasting no longer than 1 year.
If you are not intended to attend all 3-days course, you may choose to attend any course module at your convenience time. Those not wishing to take the assessment may receive a Certificate of Attendance.
There are two components of the assessment: 1) achievement of a passing score (28 out of 40 items, or 70%) on a written exam; and 2) relevant work experience in human resources, including experience or direct exposure/involvement in rewards issues, such as developing salary offers, managing promotions, etc.
Upon successfully attend all 3-days course followed by the assessment, you will receive the Certification as a Certified Total Rewards Professional™ (CTRP) which be endorsed by the ASEAN Total Rewards Institute (ATRI).
The written exam will be conducted online. Each certification candidate will provide an email address. An email will be sent to the candidate from the ASEAN Total Rewards Institute (ATRI) with a URL link to the exam. The exam can be taken once each 30 days until passed. All those taking the certification exam will receive a letter confirming their overall score plus indication of pass/fail status.
Certification also requires confirmation by the instructor that the learner has significant and relevant work experience. This is to prevent “selling paper”, i.e. certifying good test takers who lack relevant work experience. Competence is more than knowledge, but includes skill and attitudes as well, which are gained through experience within an organization.
The ATRI-designated instructor will conduct both parts of the assessment and make the final decision whether to certify the individual, based on both test completion and recognition of prior experience.