Course Objectives For “Performance Management” (PM)
Establishing and managing a performance management culture, determining Key Results Areas (KRAs), setting objectives and the traditional Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), adopting the new approach of setting monthly milestones and using MSCs, and establishing the right competencies and behaviours for all the roles in an organisation are some of the critical cornerstones of any HR department. It is crucial to design and define the right performance management system that supports your organisation’s goals and business objectives and encourages the development of each individual employee. HR professionals already know that individual performance management is an important tool for improving organisation performance. This course shows in a practical way:
- How to get an individual performance management system working successfully
- How to achieve and implement and a culture of performance management
Course Objectives For “Performance Appraisal” (PA)
Individual performance appraisals are tools that help you to manage the performance of each employee in your organisation. However, unless you clearly link it to corporate goals and see it as part of the responsibilities of an effective manager, performance appraisals can be nothing more than tick-box paper exercises. Traditional appraisals have sometimes had no links to corporate performance or individual employee results. This topic aims to provide a solid foundation on how appraisals lead to performance ratings which can be used in the specific context of pay-for-performance and the general context of HRM and Talent Management. You will learn how to:
- Increase the effectiveness of employee performance appraisals
- Critically analyse and develop your own performance management system
- Learn about different types of performance appraisal systems used globally
- Develop an appreciation of the commonly used best-practice approaches and formats for employee performance appraisals and performance rating scales
Moreover, this new-and-improved course will also share latest best-practice approaches for abandoning the annual end-of-year performance appraisal meeting and how you can abandon annual KPIs, by moving to monthly milestones and monthly “MSCs”, and monthly 10-minute feedback sessions.
Key Benefits of Attending
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for everyone who requires an appreciation or an in-depth knowledge of performance management (PM) and implementing a performance appraisal (PA) system underpinned by objectives and competencies as part of an overall performance management approach. This includes HR generalists at all levels of their careers, as well as Specialists in “Performance” or “Compensation” who focus on performance and compensation who wish to develop their skills in PM&PA. The courses are also highly suitable for all Line Managers from all Functions who manage the performance of their employees.
Performance Management -Including Objectives (KRAs and KPIs) and Competencies (Behaviours)
What Is Performance Management?
- The purpose and importance of performance management
- The typical annual performance management cycle (both traditional and next-generation)
- Guiding principles for the performance management process
The Three Critical Pillars of “Performance Management” (OCD)
- O for Objectives: setting KRAs and KPIs or MSCs and performance goals
- C for Competencies: defining the desired behaviours and competencies
- D for Development: establishing a development plan for each employee
Creating A Performance Culture
- Integrating performance management across the entire business
- Performance management as part of HR strategy and embedding a performance culture
- Setting standards and creating a feedback culture
Performance Based on Objectives And Goals
- The differences between Duties, Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- What are KRAs (Key Results Areas)?
What are old-fashioned annual KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)?
- What are modern monthly milestones and MSCs (Must-Do, Should-Do, Could-Do)?
- Linking job descriptions to performance management and setting objectives
- Linking responsibilities and accountabilities to KRAs and KPIs or MSCs
- Setting SMART objectives for KPIs or MSCs
- Monitoring and measuring objectives and goals
Performance Based on Competencies And Behaviours
- Understanding competence (and competences) and competency (and competencies)
- What is a competency and why use competencies in performance management
- Selecting competencies at the “company” and “job” level that support business goals
- How many competencies are relevant and how to select the key competencies
- The main stages in developing a “company competencies framework”
- Monitoring and measuring competencies and behaviours
Performance Improvement by Development Planning
- Using the performance management process to drive employee development
- Development options
- Typical formats for individual employee development plans
- Role of HR in supporting development planning
- Role of employee for individual responsibility and implementation